Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Unstoppable Megamind Movie Review from Switzerland

I bet you love that title.  I love it...but I'm weird.  I have 3 movies to review today.

Megamind"Megamind":  This movie is essentially "Despicable Me" but a little better.  Megamind is an evil genius, voiced by Wil Ferrell, who just can't seem to defeat his nemesis, Metro Man (Brad Pitt).  When Megamind finally succeeds and takes over Metro City, he just isn't happy, and nothing, not even his secret budding relationship with a Metro City reporter (Tina Fey) can cheer him up.  So, he sets about creating his a new super hero, Titan (Jonah Hill), to have a nemesis again.  But, when Titan turns out to be evil, who will save Metro City? 

I found "Megamind" surprisingly good.  It's heartwarming, funny and something you can watch with your family.  This 4 star flick is definitely worth 100 minutes of your evening.

Unstoppable"Unstoppable":  Well, since you all know my opinion of Denzel movies, you know I liked "Unstoppable", but, do you know how much I liked it?  Well, I thought it was a 4 star film, though it wasn't the 100 minutes of constant action that I expected. 

"Unstoppable" is based on true events of an unmanned freight train, running wide open over the countryside.  In real life, the train never got much above 40 mph, and they were able to chase it down with another engine, couple to it, and slow it to the point where an engineer could jump on and stop the train.  That's not exciting enough for Hollywood, so in "Unstoppable", the train gets to 70+ mph and there are many failures before our heroes finally succeed in stopping the runaway train.  As the movie progresses, and the attempts to stop the train are made, we get a mini character study of our heroes, the young kid played by Chris Pine (a.k.a. Captain Kirk) and the old railroad veteran played by Denzel.

Like I said, "Unstoppable" is a very good movie.  However, it's got a ton of swearing in it...I was actually surprised with the PG-13 rating given all the language.  I definitely wouldn't let a kid under 13 watch this one.

Swiss Family Robinson"Swiss Family Robinson":  Anybody who knows me knows that I usually don't watch movies that were made before I was born.  Given that "Swiss Family Robinson" was made in 1960, you would expect this one to qualify.  But, my wife wanted to watch it on Easter, so we made a family event of it.  I didn't hate this movie, in fact, I'd give it 3 stars.  For its day, it was probably a really good movie, but today it does seem a bit campy.  However, I did like it's wholesome nature...it was a good family movie, and I'm glad we took the time to watch it. 

6 comments:

mediocre coffee said...

Swiss Family Robinson brings back so many nostalgic memories for me. We used to watch this one as a family every so often.

Your Wife said...

Swiss Family Robinson is probably the greatest ever stranded on a deserted island movie ever. Yes, I said greatest ever. This movie is one of the all-time best movies against any type of movie. I don't know what campy means, so I can really respond to that comment, but it seemed to be a negative comment, and I cannot have that. I don't know if there is any movie I like better than Swiss Family Robinson.

mediocre coffee, did you ever watch Kidnapped with James MacArthur. I really liked that movie when I was a kid.

I knew someone who's family watched The Sound of Music every Thanksgiving (obviously no football fans in that family), but I've never seen it. Maybe after seeing SFR, do you think you would give it a try, Jake?

Nuke said...

Jake hasn't seen Sound of Music? That's a tragedy. How can he love the High School Musical movies so much without seeing the best musical ever?

Your Wife said...

I found out Jake has seen The Sound of Music.

Your Wife said...

I like High School Musical and I haven't seen the Sound of Music. I guess if somethings good, you can tell it's good without having to have seen other things that are good.

Nuke said...

Ah, good point. :P I should have worded it more like, "Having seen and enjoyed HSM 1-3, Jake should definitely check out The Sound of Music, one of the best, if not *the* best, musicals to hit the big screen - in my humble opinion." Sorry for the confusion.