Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Salsa Recipe

At work today, we celebrated Dip Day. I love saying "Dip Day". This is Engineer's week, so all week long, my department has been having special events. Today, we could bring in our favorite dip to share. People could vote on their favorite, and the winner got a prize.

I got 2nd place with my salsa of joy...and joyness (Charlie Unicorn reference there). Sure, that sounds impressive, until you consider that there were only 5 dips entered, and only 12 people voted. Apparently not everyone was as excited about Dip Day as I was. However, given that all my salsa was gone by the end of the day, I'm guessing way more than 12 people partook in the variety of dips. So, this department dip contest was much like America...many people participate, but few care enough to vote.

I did get a few requests for the recipe, so I'm sharing it here. I based this off a recipe I found that was supposed to replicate Chili's salsa, which I really like. I tweaked the ingredients and amounts to hit my salsa sweet spot.

Jake's Salsa of Joy, and Joyness

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Yellow Onion
7-10 Jalapeno Slices (You can use fresh Jalapeno or from a Jar)
1 Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes (14.5 ounce, I recommend Hunt's)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (10 ounce, I recommend Rotel's)
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried Cilantro

Directions:
1 - Combine Onion and Jalapeno in a food processor and process for
5-10 seconds.
2 - Add both cans of tomatoes, lime juice, Garlic Salt, Cumin, Sugar and Cilantro, and process until well blended, but do not puree.
3 - Chill for a few hours to let the flavors combine...the longer the better. I usually go for at least 12 hours.

A couple of notes:
1 - Adjust the amount of cilantro to suit your desires. I generally just eyeball it.
2 - Most of the heat comes from the Jalapenos, so the more the hotter.

Hopefully you will like this recipe and be able to tweak it to suit your salsa eating preferences. If you google "Chili's Salsa Recipe" you will find the original that I started from. Or you can just click the link I provided. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds good!! I'm amazed at how both you boys like to cook--must've done something right! Like NOT cooking maybe???? Congrats on the win--your first cooking contest :)

Jake said...

I didn't actually win...I finished 2nd.

Julie said...

I think Second Place counts as a win!!!