Thursday, October 7, 2010

Movie Review: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lighting Thief



"Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" is good as a stand alone movie. As a movie, I rate it nearly 4 stars, probably 3.75. Overall the story was good, the action was good, and the characters were likable.

The only problem is, it was hard to look at "The Lightning Thief" as just a movie. Not when I've read all 5 of the "Percy Jackson & The Olympians" books, and not when I really liked those books. While the movie makes a nice 2 hour story, the book was so much better, even if it didn't have the thrill a minute excitement of the book.

This almost always happens when a book is translated to a movie. Very rarely do you get a "Lord of the Rings" or even the "Harry Potter" films. Instead, you usually get something that is loosely based on the book, which is why I rarely watch the movie versions of books that I like.

So, here's my recommendation. If you are capable of accepting "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" as just a movie, or if you haven't read the book, go ahead and watch this movie. Otherwise, skip it and read the books.

No comments: