Sunday, March 28, 2010

Book Review: The Sea of Trolls


Ok, I didn't actually read, "The Sea of Trolls" by Nancy Farmer, I listened to it on CD. Last weekend, I drove to South Dakota on my own, as my family had already headed up there. To pass the time, I listened to "The Sea of Trolls", and I'm glad I listened to it rather than read it.

"The Sea of Trolls" is set in 793 AD, and primarily follows 12 year old Jack, who is apprenticed to a local bard. In this world, Bards use magical powers to tell their stories, and for other purposes as well. Just as Jack is starting to get the hang of some of his new abilities, he and his sister Lucy are captured by Berserkers. This sets them on a journey across the sea to a strange land, and eventually leads Jack to the land of the trolls.

Like I said, I'm glad I listened to this book rather than read it. This book is very slow paced, and filled with high levels of detail. I think it would have been a difficult read, but it was a good listen. The reader did voices for every major character and kept it interesting. The idea of the story is quite good, and I do think I will listen to the other 2 books in the series. If they have the level of detail and relative lack of action as this one, I think it would be difficult to read those as well.

So, if you are looking for a book to listen to while you drive, "The Sea of Trolls" is a good choice.

No comments: