Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince


Let me start off this review by stating that every Harry Potter movie has rated 4 stars or higher with me, and "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" is no different. This is a 4 star movie. Having read all the books, and having loved them, there is just too much nostalgia built up for me not to like these movies. Plus, I think the casting is excellent...most of the characters are really similar to how I imagined them while reading.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is the 6th movie in the series, as well as the 6th book. And, it is a really good movie, with lots of action, some humor, and of course tragedy. However, this is a case where having read the book means I know more than I should, as a movie viewer. So, while it is a good movie, too much was left out from the book. This also happened with "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (a.k.a. book/movie #5). The first 3 books in the series were short enough that there wasn't a lot of cutting to make a movie, and the 4th book had enough extra stuff going on that was unnecessary that it also made for a good movie. The last 2 books should have been 4 movies to do the story justice. Luckily for us, book 7 will be 2 movies.

So, if you've read the books, you have to take a step back and realize this is a movie adaptation of book 6 and just roll with it...otherwise, I don't think you'll like "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

No comments: