Thursday, January 14, 2010

Book Review: "The Way of Shadows"


"The Way of Shadows" is the first book in the Night Angel trilogy, by Brent Weeks. This was a Christmas gift from my wife, and I thought it was another teen book. Hopefully you remember that I typically end up reading, and liking, teen-level books. As I read it, I was shocked at some of the things that were occurring, and I commented to my wife that I couldn't believe this was a teen book, to which she replied that is was an adult book because she thought I could move up.

"The Way of Shadows" follows the life of Azoth, an 11 year old, living on the streets of Cenaria City in the fictional land of Midcyru. Azoth is part of a gang of children who steal to survive, in the darkest parts of Cenaria. Through a set of circumstances, Azoth becomes apprentice to Durzo Blint, Cenaria's most feared assassin, or wetboy, as they are more commonly called. Azoth takes on a new identity, that of Kylar Stern, and begins the training that will lead him through the next 9 years of his life. Along the way, he learns the skills he needs to survive in this new world of dangerous politics and strange magic.

I liked this book, and I sort of feel guilty about it. There aren't many likable characters in "The Way of Shadows", in fact, most are despicable. Even Kylar Stern has his moments where you just hate him. The whole story is very dark and disturbing at times. However, there are enough twists and turns that I was interested throughout. Additionally, for someone who loves fantasy/epic style books, this has all the makings of a good series.

I bought the next 2 books in the series and I plan to read them, even though I may end up regretting it. But, I probably won't know that until I finish the next 2. I think anyone who likes the "Dark Tower" series by Steven King would probably like this book...otherwise, leave it alone.

No comments: